Behold Your God: Rethinking God Biblically
‘What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.’ – A.W. Tozer
What is ‘Behold Your God’?
Are we sure that the God we serve is the God described in Scripture? Is rethinking Him biblically really necessary? How do we do it? How would it affect our views of Christ, the gospel, holiness, worship, evangelism, service, and revival?
Behold Your God: Rethinking God Biblically, led by Dr. John Snyder, is a 12-week multimedia study that focuses on God’s self-revelation in the Bible, helping the believer to apply the descriptions of God to all of life.
The Rethinking God Biblically study is centered around a twelve-week workbook and is designed to be used in conjunction with the 13 DVD lessons. Each week the student will work through the workbook (five days per week) in preparation for watching the DVD. Behold Your God can be used as an individual, family, group, or church-wide study.
Each week’s DVD is made up of three segments.
The historical introduction is a short biographical sketch of the life of a significant figure from Christian history whose ministry illustrates the truths that you have been studying that week. These were all filmed on location in Wales, England, Scotland, and North America.
- A. W. Tozer in “Week 1 – Beholding God: The Great Attraction” (Chicago, IL)
- Timothy Dwight in “Week 2 – Beholding God: Clearing the Way For Our Return” (Yale University)
- George Muller in “Week 3 – Beholding God: In the Bible” (Bristol, England)
- Samuel Rutherford in “Week 4 – Beholding God: In the Face of Jesus Christ” (Anwoth, Scotland)
- George Whitefield in “Week 5 – Beholding God: In the Work of Salvation”(Newburyport, MA)
- Robert Murray M’Cheyne in “Week 6 – Beholding God and the Response of Personal Holiness” (Dundee, Scotland)
- Charles Spurgeon in “Week 7 – Beholding God: Restoring Worship in Our Lives”(London, England),
- Daniel Rowland in “Week 8 – Beholding God and Evangelism” (Llangeitho, Wales)
- Amy Carmichael in “Week 9 – Beholding God and Our Christian Service” (Keswick, England)
- Charles Finney in “Week 10 – Beholding a Lesser God?” (Anytown, USA)
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in “Week 11 – Beholding God: Avoiding the Lies of Pragmatism”(London, England)
- Jonathan Edwards in “Week 12 – Seeking the God We Are Beholding” (New Haven, CT)
Weekly Bible Study & Interviews
After the introduction, a sermon from Dr. Snyder reinforces what you have been studying in the Bible that week. Finally, you will be able to listen to highlights from interviews with contemporary ministers whose lives and labors reflect these same truths. These include Paul Washer, Richard Owen Roberts, Jordan Thomas, Anthony Mathenia, Eifion Evans, Andrew Davies, and Conrad Mbewe. Comments from men whose gospel labors range from Peru, Ethiopia, Virginia, and Memphis to New Zealand, England, Wales, Ireland, and Zambia help to show that these are eternal truths about an eternal God who is not altered by any temporal or geographical context.
Taking the God of the Bible Seriously
Many in our day are tired and disillusioned because they have consistently hoped in the next new idea. It is just this kind of day that makes Christians stop running on their religious hamster-wheels and ask “Why are we doing these programs?” and “Why doesn’t God ever really seem to show up and effectively work in our churches?” Hard questions often lead to right answers. This study is written with the conviction that our fundamental need in Western Christianity is to repent of our low and unworthy views of God, to return to the biblical descriptions of the true God, and to risk it all in order to live upon who He is. Nothing in this study is new truth. The devotions and exercises in the workbook, and the intros, sermons, and interviews in the videos are meant only to help the reader to take the biblical descriptions of God seriously and to see how they form the foundation of Christian living.
Summary Overview of the Series & How to Use it
The very best way to find out what the study is all about is to go through the entire first week of the Rethinking God Biblically study online by clicking on the image below or by clicking here.
If you would like to purchase the series, please click here.
A Discussion on Missions August 12, 2020
What is success in missions? Are churches today helping or hurting the work of missionaries? How important is the local church in missions? Why are some missionaries failing? What is the state of missions today? In the video below, Chad Vegas and Brooks Buser of Radius International work through all of these questions, and they […]
Reflections on Job July 31, 2020
The Beginning Job’s three friends could not have been more wrong. They looked at this profoundly afflicted man and concluded that by his sin he had brought all this suffering upon himself. What other explanation could there be? But there was another explanation, one that lay at the opposite pole to the one these men […]