The Basic Elements of Worship
[The following outline of a talk on worship was presented in November to the Men’s Fellowship at Maesycwmmer in the Rhymney Valley, 12 miles north of Cardiff in South Wales. Sixty men meet each month and discuss basic truths. Last year they studied the order of salvation. After the paper was presented there was forty minutes of discussion and questions. It is a great privilege to be present with such godly men.]
1. We gather together in order to WORSHIP (not for teaching only; not ‘all of life being "worship"’).
2. We cannot worship if we are not saved. (so no point in pepping up the worship to satisfy the unsaved).
3. There can be no worship without orthodoxy – ‘worship in truth,’ Jesus said.
4. Preaching the Gospel to sinners greatly helps worship.
5. Maturing in graces leads to maturing in worship.
6. There is no depth to corporate worship if the worshipers are neglecting private worship.
7. True worship is characterised by reverence and godly fear.
8. The climax of worship is preaching God’s word.
9. Worship must be led by God-gifted men.
10. All the elements of worship have been prescribed for the church in the New Covenant.
11. We are to seek both human freshness and divine blessing in our gatherings.
Abounding Hope February 21, 2020
The following are Professor Murray’s notes of a sermon which he preached not long before his illness and death. They constitute only an outline, the material being expanded in delivery. * * * Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the […]
Your Church and the Priority of Worship February 11, 2020
9 And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall […]