The Basic Elements of Worship
[The following outline of a talk on worship was presented in November to the Men’s Fellowship at Maesycwmmer in the Rhymney Valley, 12 miles north of Cardiff in South Wales. Sixty men meet each month and discuss basic truths. Last year they studied the order of salvation. After the paper was presented there was forty minutes of discussion and questions. It is a great privilege to be present with such godly men.]
1. We gather together in order to WORSHIP (not for teaching only; not ‘all of life being "worship"’).
2. We cannot worship if we are not saved. (so no point in pepping up the worship to satisfy the unsaved).
3. There can be no worship without orthodoxy – ‘worship in truth,’ Jesus said.
4. Preaching the Gospel to sinners greatly helps worship.
5. Maturing in graces leads to maturing in worship.
6. There is no depth to corporate worship if the worshipers are neglecting private worship.
7. True worship is characterised by reverence and godly fear.
8. The climax of worship is preaching God’s word.
9. Worship must be led by God-gifted men.
10. All the elements of worship have been prescribed for the church in the New Covenant.
11. We are to seek both human freshness and divine blessing in our gatherings.
The God of Hope and the Hope He Gives May 17, 2019
Life after death. It is still the case that most people believe in it. In some form and in some place existence will continue beyond the grave. And most expect, too, that they will be happy. Life can be miserable enough for them here. But their comfort is that there — beyond the grave — […]
Five Misunderstandings About Calvinism May 14, 2019
‘Everywhere spoken against’ — that is no overstatement of the persistency and determination with which Calvinism has been opposed. For this reason, the orientation of the following pages is apologetic. It is hoped that this rather negative framework will afford opportunity for some positive and constructive exposition. So far as it is faithful to New […]