The Basic Elements of Worship
[The following outline of a talk on worship was presented in November to the Men’s Fellowship at Maesycwmmer in the Rhymney Valley, 12 miles north of Cardiff in South Wales. Sixty men meet each month and discuss basic truths. Last year they studied the order of salvation. After the paper was presented there was forty minutes of discussion and questions. It is a great privilege to be present with such godly men.]
1. We gather together in order to WORSHIP (not for teaching only; not ‘all of life being "worship"’).
2. We cannot worship if we are not saved. (so no point in pepping up the worship to satisfy the unsaved).
3. There can be no worship without orthodoxy – ‘worship in truth,’ Jesus said.
4. Preaching the Gospel to sinners greatly helps worship.
5. Maturing in graces leads to maturing in worship.
6. There is no depth to corporate worship if the worshipers are neglecting private worship.
7. True worship is characterised by reverence and godly fear.
8. The climax of worship is preaching God’s word.
9. Worship must be led by God-gifted men.
10. All the elements of worship have been prescribed for the church in the New Covenant.
11. We are to seek both human freshness and divine blessing in our gatherings.
Abiding in Christ: Initial Pruning March 19, 2019
This excerpt is taken from chapter three of Maturity by Sinclair B. Ferguson, a new release from the Banner of Truth Trust. * * * In the early years of a plant’s life, the basic function of pruning is not to produce fruit immediately, but to prepare for future fruit. Good pruning helps create the proper form […]
How to Do Good to Others March 14, 2019
To do good to others, is an honour that comes from God only. The very desire is Christ-like; and those that are Christ’s have both the desire and the power. If you have lived without Christ, you have done nothing either for God or man in the past. If you would now take Christ, what […]