The Basic Elements of Worship
[The following outline of a talk on worship was presented in November to the Men’s Fellowship at Maesycwmmer in the Rhymney Valley, 12 miles north of Cardiff in South Wales. Sixty men meet each month and discuss basic truths. Last year they studied the order of salvation. After the paper was presented there was forty minutes of discussion and questions. It is a great privilege to be present with such godly men.]
1. We gather together in order to WORSHIP (not for teaching only; not ‘all of life being "worship"’).
2. We cannot worship if we are not saved. (so no point in pepping up the worship to satisfy the unsaved).
3. There can be no worship without orthodoxy – ‘worship in truth,’ Jesus said.
4. Preaching the Gospel to sinners greatly helps worship.
5. Maturing in graces leads to maturing in worship.
6. There is no depth to corporate worship if the worshipers are neglecting private worship.
7. True worship is characterised by reverence and godly fear.
8. The climax of worship is preaching God’s word.
9. Worship must be led by God-gifted men.
10. All the elements of worship have been prescribed for the church in the New Covenant.
11. We are to seek both human freshness and divine blessing in our gatherings.
All Things For Good? June 29, 2020
The Banner of Truth was due to hold a Ministers’ Conference in the UK in March, and another in the USA in May. These had to be cancelled due to the COVID crisis. It was the first time for about 60 years of running conferences that this had happened. Over the last week or so […]
Are We There Yet? June 26, 2020
We Christians are heaven-bound pilgrims. The question is, do we see ourselves that way? Have we fostered this kind of pilgrim mentality in our own lives? If not, impatience may be the culprit. In this respect, many of us have been shaped by our culture more than we care to admit. To put it mildly, […]